Sunday 4 October 2009

Wake Up!!!!



Jayashree Kapahi is a resident of 'Bombay'- oooops!! - 'Mumbai'. She has written a very touching poem on 'Bombay', which I would like to share with my friends on my blog.

She writes:

Wake-Up

I say Bombay. The goons will thrash me?
Wake up people. Smell the coffee.
Bombay’s traffic and its snarls.
Do you care? No, not all
Slums are thriving, infants beg.
What does it matter if they lack a leg?
Pollution chokes, diseases kill.
Let them die, the dead don’t vote.

Oh drop these sanctimonious sermons. It is silly.
Farmers commit suicide-not juicy news.
Children die, women raped, abused, beaten.
Who cares? Not the media. Not us. Do you ?

Reality doesn’t touch us. It’s all about publicity.
Holy, unholy cows-do we care?
Chant about the hallowed Mata.
Forget the mother who bore you. Unreality.

Shall I be the small soft voice of reason.
In an unreasonable world.
Fight for freedom from frustrated fiends.
Maybe I’ll lose the fight. Flag unfurled.

Reality.
It stinks.

My sincere thanks to Jayashree for sharing her poem with us.

No comments:

The name "Bombay" was derived from 'Bom Bahia' (The Good Bay),

.... a name given by Portuguese sailor Francis Almeida, in 1508 ....“Bounce back Mumbai” .....as it is called by the locals, it is a city that has been through a lot in the recent past – floods, bomb blasts, riots – and come out stronger each time.

Whats the Time Please?

Live Exchange Rates

Do you love what you read here? .....Copy, churn, reproduce, share or imitate....knowledge is for sharing....But, do acknowledge me, or better still.... send me a copy....... pmoorjani@yahoo.com