Monday, 6 October 2008
Are you in Mumbai for the celebration of Durga Puja?
Goddess Durga represents a united front of all Divine forces against the negative forces of evil and wickedness.
The image of Durga, the Eternal Mother destroying the demon, Mahishasur is symbolic of the final confrontation of the spiritual urge of man with his baser passions.
In Mumbai, Durga Puja is an enjoyable occasion. Puja is performed each day and devotees do not remove the flower garland that is put each day on the idol or image of the deity. After nine days, all nine garlands are removed together. Young girls who have not attained maturity are invited to eat, play games, dance and sing. An elephant is drawn with rangoli, and the girls play guessing games. Then they are fed a meal of their choice.
If you are in Mumbai check out these Puja pandals near you…..
1. Tejpal Hall, August Kranti Marg, Cumballa Hill, Off Peddar Road
2. Shivaji Park, Dadar
3. Shakti Samanta's Puja, Near National College, Off Linking Road, Bandra
4. Ramakrishna Temple Puja, 12th Road, Khar(W)
5. Mukherjee Badi Puja, near Poddar College, Off SV Road, Santacruz (W)
6. Abhijit's Puja, new Lokhandwala Complex, Lokhandwala, Andheri (W)
7. Kallol Kali Temple Puja, Bangur Nagar, Off Link Road, Goregaon (W)
8. Vashi Puja, Opp. Vashi Railway Station
9. Chembur Puja, Chembur Naka, Chembur
10. Hiranandani Gardens, Hiranandani, Powai
11. Kanjur Marg Puja, Naval Colony, Near Huma Adlabs, Kanjur Marg
12. Tara Singh Compound Puja, on LBS Road, Bhandup
13. EdenWoods Puja, Near Edenwoods, Thane (W)
14. Happy Valley, Thane (W)
15. Hiranandani Estate, Hiranandani, Thane (W)
image source: Google
The name "Bombay" was derived from 'Bom Bahia' (The Good Bay),
.... a name given by Portuguese sailor Francis Almeida, in 1508 ....“Bounce back Mumbai” .....as it is called by the locals, it is a city that has been through a lot in the recent past – floods, bomb blasts, riots – and come out stronger each time.
Live Exchange Rates
Do you love what you read here? .....Copy, churn, reproduce, share or imitate....knowledge is for sharing....But, do acknowledge me, or better still.... send me a copy....... email@example.com