Thursday 23 June 2022

Capturing Mumbai Through My Lens

During the pandemic, an event ‘Jashn e Dastan e Mumbai' was organised online on 18th, 19th and 20th of December2020 by Mumbai Research Centre with the aim of bringing all Mumbaikars close together through stories, history, art, food, culture and architecture of Mumbai.

There were many contests held during that event on various topics. One of the contests that caught my attention was on capturing the city of Mumbai in photographs with captions on it.

I am not a professional photographer but I love to capture the life of Mumbai behind my mobile lens. Most of my pictures are taken during my rides in public transport or when I go for my casual walks.

Some of the pictures that I sent for the competition

1.     Walkers Paradise at Flora Fountains



 

2.     Sunset at Sealink



 

3.     Nobody needs seat belts while snoozing in Mumbai



 

4.     Families live comfortably under Ghatkopar expressway

 


5.     Heritage sites restored at narrow Bandra by-lanes


 

6.     Only at Dadar foot bridge, there is systematic flow of human traffic

 


7.     Eye sore for some- ornaments of colourful vibrant clothes left for drying in the sun

 


8.     Bandra traffic moves at snail’s pace at Bandra express Highway

 


9.     Street dwellers of Mumbai

 


10.  At Chembur traffic light, only a statue will wait at red signal.

 


11.  Life of contrast – View from Metro between Andheri and Ghatkopar

 


12.  No buyer. Candy Floss by seashore during Covid times at Bandstand Bandra



I had participated but had completely forgotten about it until last week, I got a surprise.

The winners were announced this month




One of my photographs bagged a 2 runner up! My photograph no 7




The beauty of my photograph is seen only when you zoom in to see those colorful clothes against the dull building.


This building always catches my attention during my ride to Navi Mumbai from Bandra. And now that it brought me an award, I have reason to smile.


I am grateful to the organising committee of Aine e Mumbai and Niyogi Books for sending me a beautiful book on ‘Ladakh-A wanderer’s spectacle’ by Naburan Bhattacharya.



It’s a real treasure of beautiful photographs and impeccable writings.


Much appreciated.




No comments:

The name "Bombay" was derived from 'Bom Bahia' (The Good Bay),

.... a name given by Portuguese sailor Francis Almeida, in 1508 ....“Bounce back Mumbai” .....as it is called by the locals, it is a city that has been through a lot in the recent past – floods, bomb blasts, riots – and come out stronger each time.

Whats the Time Please?

Live Exchange Rates

Do you love what you read here? .....Copy, churn, reproduce, share or imitate....knowledge is for sharing....But, do acknowledge me, or better still.... send me a copy....... pmoorjani@yahoo.com